Youtube's new rule on videos made for kids

sloggervlogger

I don't target children in my videos, but I am sure many children watch them as they are "G-rated" and family-friendly. My YT analytics indicate that 99.3% of my audience is over the age of 13, so I clicked the not for kids button.
If you think other platforms like Rumble are safe, think again. This might be just the tip of the iceberg. The FTC is making an example out of YouTube because it is the largest video platform. If they can do this to YT then they will come after all other platforms as well. Dailymotion, Vimeo, Twitch, and our beloved Rumble will be fair game. Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, & Instagram could be regulated as well.
That said, I urge all of you to make a comment to the FTC and be heard! Derrel Eves, a respected YouTube and Video marketing consultant with a large amount of his background in social media, mobile, and video marketing put out a video recently with a link to the FTC. Look here -
View: https://youtu.be/eXHYVWyAGcE
This action is going to HURT A LOT of REALLY GOOD video creators. 2020 is going to be a rough ride for all of us!
I don't target children in my videos, but I am sure many children watch them as they are "G-rated" and family-friendly. My YT analytics indicate that 99.3% of my audience is over the age of 13, so I clicked the not for kids button.
If you think other platforms like Rumble are safe, think again. This might be just the tip of the iceberg. The FTC is making an example out of YouTube because it is the largest video platform. If they can do this to YT then they will come after all other platforms as well. Dailymotion, Vimeo, Twitch, and our beloved Rumble will be fair game. Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, & Instagram could be regulated as well.
That said, I urge all of you to make a comment to the FTC and be heard! Derrel Eves, a respected YouTube and Video marketing consultant with a large amount of his background in social media, mobile, and video marketing put out a video recently with a link to the FTC. Look here -
View: https://youtu.be/eXHYVWyAGcE
This action is going to HURT A LOT of REALLY GOOD video creators. 2020 is going to be a rough ride for all of us!
Well written! I agree any video platform is in danger with this. YouTube just takes the brunt of it, because they are the biggest. I just signed the petition that Derrel Eves talks about : http://www.change.org/p/youtubers-and-viewers-unite-against-ftc-regulation

Mario

Creator Support Team
Staff member
@chrisrumble and @Mario what's your opinion on this matter? How will this affect Rumble's business?
We've been very careful when it comes to content that either includes children, or it's geared towards them way before it was a talking point, but we do really try to avoid approaching this issue in the way that many other platforms do, such as YT. Many people feel YT waited until too late to react to this problem and once they did, they overreacted and damaged a lot of channel by being overzealous. A lot of points brought up in this thread are absolutely true and real, we were slightly affected by YT's decisions (as always when they make a overly broad decision that isn't entirely in the creator's benefit). Even when we believed they were too harsh we abode because it is their platform, and they set the rules.

Here we believe in staying ahead of the curve when it comes to trends, and making little proactive changes so if there's any legal issues with regulators for example, we won't be affected. We don't wait to be told to do the right thing to do it, we do it before it's cool, and way before any of these issues are considered problems. It also helps that by being smaller we are definitely more agile.

Instead of being accused of overreacting like YT is, we've been dealing with offending videos on a one on one basis, that's why no one has heard of this in the community. Unless of course you had a video rejected because we believe would cause issues; all things considered, if your videos meet our standards they will be published. That's it.

It's not an exact science, and the standards change around the thousands of things that affect our platform, but this works well enough for us. It's would be easier if we could work in a vacuum where nothing changes, but this isn't possible. Trends, social approaches, technological changes, etc, there's so much to deal with in our end. In your end, as a creator, you just need to upload original, entertaining content and we'll try our best to make you money.

Happy Friday everyone!
Mario

w3caffeine

We've been very careful when it comes to content that either includes children, or it's geared towards them way before it was a talking point, but we do really try to avoid approaching this issue in the way that many other platforms do, such as YT. Many people feel YT waited until too late to react to this problem and once they did, they overreacted and damaged a lot of channel by being overzealous. A lot of points brought up in this thread are absolutely true and real, we were slightly affected by YT's decisions (as always when they make a overly broad decision that isn't entirely in the creator's benefit). Even when we believed they were too harsh we abode because it is their platform, and they set the rules.

TonyFisher

YouTube can see the ages of our audiences and should either give us a genuine guideline (if on average 95% of viewers are over 13 then set your video to not made for kids for example) or do it themselves. My videos are mostly about Rubik's Cube type puzzles and non cubers probably assume it's for kids (still unclear what a kid's age actually is). In reality though it tends to be late teens and early twenties.

TonyFisher

How old is a child? The age of a child in the United States is defined as anyone under the age of 13. However, the age of a child may be higher in other countries, so consider the factors described above as appropriate given how children are defined in applicable laws in your country, and consult legal counsel if you have additional questions. "
I saw this too but could someone please provide a link to anywhere else that says a child in the USA is anyone under 13. The united nations says it is 18 and USA immigration says 21.

TonyFisher

READ EVERYTHING! FINES ARE ENORMOUS! $42.000!!!
No offence but this is the kind of thing politicians say and is close to being fake news. Yes it could be $42,000 but it's "up to" and depends on many factors that I doubt any YouTuber could do before YouTube pulled the plug on first.

smcbuki

No offence but this is the kind of thing politicians say and is close to being fake news. Yes it could be $42,000 but it's "up to" and depends on many factors that I doubt any YouTuber could do before YouTube pulled the plug on first.
Yes, it is "up to", but it's also "per violation". If you have dozens of videos and FTC decides they all violate COPPA, you are in serious trouble.

smcbuki

I said anywhere else. As a Brit, how am I supposed to find out the UK equivalent since the USA 13 isn't even based on anything. It's just a random number.
I don't think it's just a random number and UK (or any other) equivalent is not important. Youtube is a US based company and US laws apply. COPPA states that kids are under 13 years of age and that's that.

smcbuki

I said anywhere else. As a Brit, how am I supposed to find out the UK equivalent since the USA 13 isn't even based on anything. It's just a random number.
Also this:
"Some age-related development periods and examples of defined intervals are: newborn (ages 0–4 weeks); infant (ages 4 weeks – 1 year); toddler (ages 12 months-24 months); preschooler (ages 2–5 years); school-aged child (ages 6–12 years); adolescent (ages 13–19)."
Source: wikipedia

So, under 13 = child, 13-19 = adolescent.

Mario

Creator Support Team
Staff member
Derrel Eves just released another video regarding this subject and how YouTube is changing its terms of service to protect itself. I'm not an attorney, but the part about licensing concerns me and thought I would share. Will this have any effect on the videos we upload to Rumble? @Mario? Here is the video if you want to watch the whole "the sky is falling" thing.
View: https://youtu.be/By2sLjE-Y50
View attachment 713
As I mentioned above:

We've been dealing with offending videos on a one on one basis, that's why no one has heard of this in the community. Unless of course you had a video rejected because we believe would cause issues; all things considered, if your videos meet our standards they will be published. That's it.

sloggervlogger

As I mentioned above:

We've been dealing with offending videos on a one on one basis, that's why no one has heard of this in the community. Unless of course you had a video rejected because we believe would cause issues; all things considered, if your videos meet our standards they will be published. That's it.
So animal videos will still be acceptable and not categorised as geared towards kids? I'm not talking about the Rumble Player, I'm talking about the Rumble YouTube Channels. Rumble is in the same boat as us regarding the Rumble YouTube channels. Deciding which videos are complying with Coppa. As you've got so many videos on the Viral channel it will probably take some time for you to go through them all and rate them as appropriate. Which videos are you marking as :Yes, it's Made for Kids and which are you marking as No, it's not Made for Kids? Or are you just setting up the whole channel as either of them? Rumble always tried to be open with us and telling us how things are. So if you would set your whole channel to Yes, it's Made for Kids we really would need to know. So we can make an informed decision about our feature uploads.

Mario

Creator Support Team
Staff member
So animal videos will still be acceptable and not categorised as geared towards kids? I'm not talking about the Rumble Player, I'm talking about the Rumble YouTube Channels. Rumble is in the same boat as us regarding the Rumble YouTube channels. Deciding which videos are complying with Coppa. As you've got so many videos on the Viral channel it will probably take some time for you to go through them all and rate them as appropriate. Which videos are you marking as :Yes, it's Made for Kids and which are you marking as No, it's not Made for Kids? Or are you just setting up the whole channel as either of them? Rumble always tried to be open with us and telling us how things are. So if you would set your whole channel to Yes, it's Made for Kids we really would need to know. So we can make an informed decision about our feature uploads.
I can't confirm yet if there will be a new dedicated channel, but not all of our content on YT is geared to children so we definitely are NOT marking the channel as geared for children, because that would be inaccurate.

sloggervlogger

I can't confirm yet if there will be a new dedicated channel, but not all of our content on YT is geared to children so we definitely are NOT marking the channel as geared for children, because that would be inaccurate.
Thank you Mario. That's great news that Rumble won't take the easy route and mark the videos all the same. You going to be busy though, going through all the videos individually by the 10th of December.