Youtube's new rule on videos made for kids

smcbuki

I guess you all saw the notice on your Youtube channel, but if you didn't, here it is:
"As a YouTube creator, you are required to set future and existing videos as made for kids or not. Even creators who don’t make content for kids need to set their audience. This will help ensure that we offer the appropriate features on your content...."
You can read full text here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9528076
READ EVERYTHING! FINES ARE ENORMOUS! $42.000!!!

Youtube automatically detected few of my videos as "made for kids", but they are pet videos made for wider audience. Anyway, I'm leaving it as detected, until I figure out what to do. I do only pet videos and I wonder how this new rule is going to affect my earnings...

What do you think about all this?
Do you have videos automatically marked as "made for kids"?
What are you going to do?
@Mario What is Rumble going to do with autodetected videos?

sloggervlogger

I guess you all saw the notice on your Youtube channel, but if you didn't, here it is:
"As a YouTube creator, you are required to set future and existing videos as made for kids or not. Even creators who don’t make content for kids need to set their audience. This will help ensure that we offer the appropriate features on your content...."
You can read full text here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9528076
READ EVERYTHING! FINES ARE ENORMOUS! $42.000!!!

Youtube automatically detected few of my videos as "made for kids", but they are pet videos made for wider audience. Anyway, I'm leaving it as detected, until I figure out what to do. I do only pet videos and I wonder how this new rule is going to affect my earnings...

What do you think about all this?
Do you have videos automatically marked as "made for kids"?
What are you going to do?
@Mario What is Rumble going to do with autodetected videos?
I only have animal video as well, and they are not made for kids so that's what I click. When I look under my analytics, which proofs it as well as my audience are 99.8% adults.
Good question, how Rumble deals with it!

sloggervlogger

YouTube also writes
"When deciding whether or not your channel or video is Made for Kids, you should consider various factors, including:

• Subject matter of the video (e.g. educational content for young children)
  • Whether children are your intended or actual audience for the video
  • Whether the video includes child actors or models
  • Whether the video includes characters, celebrities or toys that appeal to children, including animated characters or cartoon figures
  • Whether the language of the video is intended for children to understand
  • Whether the video includes activities that appeal to children, such as play-acting, simple songs or games, or early education
  • Whether the video includes songs, stories or poems for children
  • Any other information you may have to help determine your video's audience, like empirical evidence of the video's audience
How old is a child? The age of a child in the United States is defined as anyone under the age of 13. However, the age of a child may be higher in other countries, so consider the factors described above as appropriate given how children are defined in applicable laws in your country, and consult legal counsel if you have additional questions. "

winkeldinkel

Life just got a lot more complicated on YouTube...I have also noticed that on a lot of videos with children that are of a sensitive nature, such as kids with deformities or disabilities, YouTube has chosen to disable all comments on the video (even if they allowed comments previously) . A lot of people are upset about this since you can't get much feedback or reaction to the videos. I believe they have done this because they are afraid of the cruel comments that internet trolls make on various videos and by blocking everyone from commenting, that problem is solved..

BenW

Do I have to change the settings on my own Youitube channel of videos that Rumble claimed? As @sloggervlogger I have videos of animals, not specially meant for children but for all audiences. There is no option for all. (a bit strange in my opinion) So I think I will choose for "not made for kids" as well. (some fighting horses videos are certainly not meant for children)

RebeccaStout

Geezus all of the new YouTube and federal regulations this year have been so vague and hard to follow. So many changes. The vagueness is what is so scary for creators. In regards to changing policies involving children this year, its not YT's fault at ALL. This is all from gov regulation and them using YT as an example. YT already had to settled a dispute with the gov regarding the copa laws or whatever they are. Now a politician has come out saying the current or past fed law wasn't enough sigh. So they further cracked down on YT to the point that YT has to do what they did this week. The gov just keeps on going more and more every couple months now. At this point we have entered not just a slipper slope, but we are sliding down that slope right now as we speak!!! Check in with your YT account every day for news, messages, etc because as I said the laws are changing all of the time now and quickly. I have like 1000 videos to go through every gdamn time they change their policies. It's now to the point, I can not keep up indefinitely.

I am terrified. Videography on sites like here and YT is my current living even though I only earn a few hundred a month. It goes beyond that. Onni the baby cockatoo is internet famous. Tens of millions views and his purpose is very important. Like a few of you, my channel is a pet (and family actually) channel. I mean... come on. Pets are for all audiences. And at this point the rule has changed so the video cannot be directed towards children but the video "cannot attract" children. What the actual heck. We have no control over what the kids watch whatsoever. And of course they are going to be clicking on pet videos and nice G rated family like videos. Grrrr!

ray1876

Youtube has been known to apply standards (community guidelines) subjectively and arbitrary. Channels have been banned because of misinterpreted guidelines.

I worry about this part. "If you don’t set your content or if we detect error or abuse, we may set your audience for you. If you fail to set your content accurately you may face compliance issues with the FTC or other authorities, and we may take action on your YouTube account."

So who/what is the ultimate judge of what is accurate?

ray1876

I have marked my channels "not made for kids" because I target a wide audience which can contain topics, words, and ideas that can be considered not kid friendly (13 or younger). I've applied this setting to all my YouTube channels but it varies per creator.
But if the FTC decides an uploaded video is kid-directed, but sees it is not marked as kid-directed, the creator could face a fine of over $42,000 per video.

w3caffeine

But if the FTC decides an uploaded video is kid-directed, but sees it is not marked as kid-directed, the creator could face a fine of over $42,000 per video.
Yeah, the internet that once was so simple has become complicated today. Especially when 3rd parties get involved.
But if FTC decide that one of my videos is kid-directed I am abusing their TOS. I know my content is not kid-directed but if they do decide (which is very unlikely) I will send them a postcard to congratulate them for being vidiots.

w3caffeine

YouTube is complicated. And we don't have access to staff to address the concerns.
I always compare this to Rumble where we get direct answers and help.
Correct, I quit as full time youtuber on may 2019. Back then I was a debunker and suddenly poeffff my channel is no longer partner for misleading content... debunker uhhh misleading? That same day a hoaxer with over 2 million subscribers was removed too for the same reason but got reinstated within 24 hours because of his followers stalking YouTube on twitter. Ironic isn't?

Other debunkers were like: "What the Fun"

After being a content creator since 2007 I pulled the plug. Because YouTube is getting worse by the day.

This drama started when they signed with the European Commission in 2016.

At Rumble I feel equally treated as video creator.

einsteinparrot

I don't target children in my videos, but I am sure many children watch them as they are "G-rated" and family-friendly. My YT analytics indicate that 99.3% of my audience is over the age of 13, so I clicked the not for kids button.
If you think other platforms like Rumble are safe, think again. This might be just the tip of the iceberg. The FTC is making an example out of YouTube because it is the largest video platform. If they can do this to YT then they will come after all other platforms as well. Dailymotion, Vimeo, Twitch, and our beloved Rumble will be fair game. Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, & Instagram could be regulated as well.
That said, I urge all of you to make a comment to the FTC and be heard! Derrel Eves, a respected YouTube and Video marketing consultant with a large amount of his background in social media, mobile, and video marketing put out a video recently with a link to the FTC. Look here -
View: https://youtu.be/eXHYVWyAGcE
This action is going to HURT A LOT of REALLY GOOD video creators. 2020 is going to be a rough ride for all of us!

brenmichelle

I don't target children in my videos, but I am sure many children watch them as they are "G-rated" and family-friendly. My YT analytics indicate that 99.3% of my audience is over the age of 13, so I clicked the not for kids button.
If you think other platforms like Rumble are safe, think again. This might be just the tip of the iceberg. The FTC is making an example out of YouTube because it is the largest video platform. If they can do this to YT then they will come after all other platforms as well. Dailymotion, Vimeo, Twitch, and our beloved Rumble will be fair game. Yahoo, MSN, Facebook, & Instagram could be regulated as well.
That said, I urge all of you to make a comment to the FTC and be heard! Derrel Eves, a respected YouTube and Video marketing consultant with a large amount of his background in social media, mobile, and video marketing put out a video recently with a link to the FTC. Look here -
View: https://youtu.be/eXHYVWyAGcE
This action is going to HURT A LOT of REALLY GOOD video creators. 2020 is going to be a rough ride for all of us!
Wow that was a good video thank you. What a mess. I just made all my YouTube videos private after watching this.

sloggervlogger

YouTube is complicated. And we don't have access to staff to address the concerns.
I always compare this to Rumble where we get direct answers and help.
You can't really compare the two I think. If Rumble were as big as YouTube they had the same issue, they wouldn't be able to give us the support they giving us now. You can already see things changing slowly. There going to be more and more of us and Rumble finds it difficult to cope already with videos backing up, copyright issues that don't get dealt with, third party taking a year to pay us ( well that's been kind of normal) , features that suppose to come, but never do or take a long time, more limited videos, not enough time to find more Rumble player advertising as that is getting less and less and the list goes on. This is nothing against Rumble, I know from my own experience the bigger you grow, the more difficult it gets to keep up with everything. I would have my head in the sand, if I think things can stay the same.