Tips how to be found on Google and why you should write long video descriptions

Zen

In a 2017 announcement, @Mario announced that Rumble would rather see a video with a video description with no less than 300 words to make Rumble content more and better search engine friendly. Some people think that is too much and especially when you have to write 300 words about a 1-minute puppy video.

First...

Why does text length matter?

Publications with little to no information are considered thin content. Google tries to provide the best results that match the search intent of the user. And that's right...
Some of my videos provided me a passive income from 2010 to 2017 in my YouTube career. All these videos contained between 500 and 1500 words. The videos combined generated around 30 million lifetime views.

Writing '300-words' description

As an example I take "Puppy discovers bean bag, delivers epic reaction," a lousy 6 seconds video. The uploader has earned "$103.71" with this video ---not bad--- but this could have been more if the owner had written a stronger description. But how the hell do you write 300 words about a 6 seconds video? Simple...

demo.jpg

Remember that the first paragraph is the most important part of your description. In this section you try to answer the following questions using 150 - 156 characters:
  • Who was involved?
  • What happened?
  • When did it take place?
  • Where did it take place?
  • Why did that happen?
timestamp.jpg

As you can see Google search shows limited information. I recommend using max 156 characters to leave space for the time stamp what is being added in front of the description.

In the second paragraph, you can describe more details about the behavior of the dog that is not registered on camera. Does she play with other things, how is her mentality (is she kind to children), where did you buy the dog, what more can you tell about your dog.

You will fill the rest of the video description by writing something about "Finnish Spitz". To get ideas I use the following tools:
  1. Keywords Everywhere (Free extension for Chrome and Firefox);
  2. Google search;
  3. Adwords Keyword Planner;
  4. Google Trends;
1. Keywords Everywhere

Visit the website and install the free extension and activate it. This handy tool tells you the following information:
  • Searches by Google users;
  • CPC (short for cost per click);
  • Volume (how many monthly searches for that specific search query);
  • Comp (The competition);
2. Google search

google Search.jpg

Google search bar gives you ideas to write about. On the right you see Keywords Everywhere kicking in.

3. Adwords Keyword Planner

Works just like Keywords Everywhere but Keyword Planner gives you a complete list of searches.

4. Google Trends

Google Trends is more up-to-date than Keyword Planner and Keywords Everywhere.

Writing

Writing a description is one thing but you also want to be found by users using search engines. Try using a search phrase with a volume between 1,000 and 2,000 with low competition. Try to use the search terms and related search terms in your title, description, and tags. This does not mean that you have to fill the entire video description with search terms.

What would I do better?

I had changed the title from

Puppy discovers bean bag, delivers epic reaction

into

Finnish Spitz Puppy Discovers Bean Bag, Delivers Epic Reaction

1,600 potential monthly searches: "finnish spitz puppy"

I would write in the First paragraph that describes what happens in the video focusing on the main keyword "Finnish Spitz puppies" & "Dog" (because spitz dog is also a popular search phrase):

Finnish Spitz puppies are very playful like this dog, Tufo, a 4-month-old Finnish Spitz who discovers a bean bag. Watch her reaction, just priceless!

improved.jpg

Using '24 words 149 characters' I described the video while using two search phrases with CTA (call to action (watch her reaction)). Looks more appealing and SEO is applied, killing two birds with one stone...

The rest of the description I would allow myself to write about Finnish Spitz Puppies by looking at the top 4 ranked competition ranked on Google. I would write better content than the four combined.

I hope this post will help you.

Tip: search on YouTube for in-depth information about the tools I've mentioned in this post.

Last edited:

PubgMasterGame

In a 2017 announcement, @Mario announced that Rumble would rather see a video with a video description with no less than 300 words to make Rumble content more and better search engine friendly. Some people think that is too much and especially when you have to write 300 words about a 1-minute puppy video.

First...

Publications with little to no information are considered thin content. Google tries to provide the best results that match the search intent of the user. And that's right...
Some of my videos provided me a passive income from 2010 to 2017 in my YouTube career. All these videos contained between 500 and 1500 words. The videos combined generated around 30 million lifetime views.

As an example I take "Puppy discovers bean bag, delivers epic reaction," a lousy 6 seconds video. The uploader has earned "$103.71" with this video ---not bad--- but this could have been more if the owner had written a stronger description. But how the hell do you write 300 words about a 6 seconds video? Simple...

View attachment 675

Remember that the first paragraph is the most important part of your description. In this section you try to answer the following questions using 150 - 156 characters:
  • Who was involved?
  • What happened?
  • Why did that happen?
View attachment 676

As you can see Google search shows limited information. I recommend using max 156 characters to leave space for the time stamp what is being added in front of the description.

In the second paragraph, you can describe more details about the behavior of the dog that is not registered on camera. Does she play with other things, how is her mentality (is she kind to children), where did you buy the dog, what more can you tell about your dog.

You will fill the rest of the video description by writing something about "Finnish Spitz". To get ideas I use the following tools:
  2. Google search;
  4. Google Trends;
1. Keywords Everywhere

Visit the website and install the free extension and activate it. This handy tool tells you the following information:
2. Google search

View attachment 677

Google search bar gives you ideas to write about. On the right you see Keywords Everywhere kicking in.

Works just like Keywords Everywhere but Keyword Planner gives you a complete list of searches.

4. Google Trends

Writing

Writing a description is one thing but you also want to be found by users using search engines. Try using a search phrase with a volume between 1,000 and 2,000 with low competition. Try to use the search terms and related search terms in your title, description, and tags. This does not mean that you have to fill the entire video description with search terms.

What would I do better?

into

I would write in the First paragraph that describes what happens in the video focusing on the main keyword "Finnish Spitz puppies" & "Dog" (because spitz dog is also a popular search phrase):

Finnish Spitz puppies are very playful like this dog, Tufo, a 4-month-old Finnish Spitz who discovers a bean bag. Watch her reaction, just priceless!

View attachment 678

Using '24 words 149 characters' I described the video while using two search phrases with CTA (call to action (watch her reaction)). Looks more appealing and SEO is applied, killing two birds with one stone...

The rest of the description I would allow myself to write about Finnish Spitz Puppies by looking at the top 4 ranked competition ranked on Google. I would write better content than the four combined.

Tip: search on YouTube for in-depth information about the tools I've mentioned in this post.
great article

TwinsKitties

First...

View attachment 675

• Who was involved?
  • What happened?
  • Why did that happen?
View attachment 676

2. Google search;
  4. Google Trends;
1. Keywords Everywhere

2. Google search

View attachment 677

4. Google Trends

Writing

What would I do better?

into

View attachment 678

wooow i have to say it's great one to read
good you brought this up with lots of details

BenW

First...

View attachment 675

• Who was involved?
  • What happened?
  • Why did that happen?
View attachment 676

2. Google search;
  4. Google Trends;
1. Keywords Everywhere

2. Google search

View attachment 677

4. Google Trends

Writing

What would I do better?

into

View attachment 678

Thanks for the clear explanation and the links you provided in your message.! I Always thought that nobody would read a long story by the video, but now I understand that reading isn't the most important part, but to be found on the internet is. Your message will certainly help me to write better descriptions.

Zen

Thanks for the clear explanation and the links you provided in your message.! I Always thought that nobody would read a long story by the video, but now I understand that reading isn't the most important part, but to be found on the internet is. Your message will certainly help me to write better descriptions.
Hey hey Ben, true but also you can add additional information to add more value to your content. Google is all about user experience.
Back in my old days I worked for Microsoft as content judge for Bing search engine. They are reviewing content because user experience is very important.

travelleerx

First...

View attachment 675

• Who was involved?
  • What happened?
  • Why did that happen?
View attachment 676

2. Google search;
  4. Google Trends;
1. Keywords Everywhere

2. Google search

View attachment 677

4. Google Trends

Writing

What would I do better?

into

View attachment 678

wooow great article really will try to use some of those tips