Filming Street Entertainers (copyright music)

@Mario could you tell me what the best way is in this case: Filming a street entertainer ( Dancer) that has well know copyright music in the background to dance to. How does Rumble handle this? Or general events as well, that have music playing in the background. Should I remove the music? Is it OK as it is part of an event, news story? I'm probably replacing it on YouTube with some other music, which probably will look/sound odd, but better than no sound at all. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mario

Creator Support Team
Staff member
Hi SV,

This is delicate question because it's got so many parts to it.

Depending on your location filming street performers means you own the video totally because they're in a public setting where privacy isn't expected, so in that end you own the totality of your video. But if the performer does not own the music they're performing with, it may be ok for them to use it, but not ok for you to monetize it as you would be spreading the content digitally and you do not own the music or the rights to its distribution.

I'm not 100% sure, but the video should be fine because you filmed it in what I assume is a public setting, and the music isn't the center of the video, but more like a secondary layer to the main point of entertainment. If it's so easy to change the music without altering the essence of the video then it should be fine to upload it as is for Rumble, but you may want to upload a modified version to YouTube if you want to be 100% sure.

Hi SV,

This is delicate question because it's got so many parts to it.

Depending on your location filming street performers means you own the video totally because they're in a public setting where privacy isn't expected, so in that end you own the totality of your video. But if the performer does not own the music they're performing with, it may be ok for them to use it, but not ok for you to monetize it as you would be spreading the content digitally and you do not own the music or the rights to its distribution.

I'm not 100% sure, but the video should be fine because you filmed it in what I assume is a public setting, and the music isn't the center of the video, but more like a secondary layer to the main point of entertainment. If it's so easy to change the music without altering the essence of the video then it should be fine to upload it as is for Rumble, but you may want to upload a modified version to YouTube if you want to be 100% sure.
Thank you Mario for you reply! I will try and replace the music.